Tuesday, November 21, 2006

True Borneo Island Ghost Stories - The Noisy Hotel Room (Miri City)

I travel alone to Miri every other month on business. Miri's a resort city located near Brunei on the west coast of Borneo.

There is a particular hotel located in the city centre which I would deem particularly haunted or 'dirty' as us Chinese like to describe it. I don't say this lightly as I have several strange experiences on different occasions.

One early morning on one of my trips, at about 5am in the morning, I was woke up by loud noisy footsteps in my room. It felt like a lot of people were walking up and down the room but I couldn't see anything. I got up to switch on the lights to investigate but the footsteps stopped immediately.

There was another occasion when I had a faulty phone in my room. I had to inform room service to send a technician to my room. It had just passed 5pm and I was alone in the room at the time, waiting for the technician to come when I heard 3 light knocks at even intervals at the door. Coming to think of it the knocks didn't sound like how a person would normally knock.

Thinking it was the technician, I got up to open the door. But before opening the door, I checked the peep hole. What I saw gave me a big fright. Staring at the door was a big red eye. After steadying my nerves I was able to seat myself down. Luckily, a few minutes later, the technician came.

My most recent encounter in this very same hotel was encountering noises which sounded like someone trying to open the door. Now this time round I had my boss for company and I was not the only one who heard it, she did too. It started around midnight and continued till the early hours of the morning.

I later realised that all these encounters always happen on the ninth floor. When I stayed on other floors, nothing ever happens. So from now onwards I always make it a point to avoid the dreaded ninth floor.

No comments: